Beyond our pledge to donate a portion of our sales to 1% for the Planet and Alliance for the Great Lakes, we think it’s just as important that our products reflect our love for the environment and the public lands we spend all our free time using by doing things responsibly.
So here is our pledge. To you. And to us.
1. We pledge to use only recycled paper from sustainable sources for our stationery products and packaging materials. We will make sure all our papers have sustainability certifications from organizations we trust that track the paper making process from start to finish including Forest Stewardship Council, Sustainable Forestry Initiative and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification.
2. We pledge to use only vegetable based inks. We now use 100% vegetable based ink for all our printed paper products. These inks contain more than 30% vegetable oil and +55% bio-derived, renewable and sustainable materials. It contains no petroleum ink solvent and has low levels of volatile organic compounds. Our greeting cards and postcards are now 100% biodegradable.
3. We pledge to take the time to source all materials responsibly. Making the best choices that not only fit the need of the product to make a quality item but also have the least impact as possible on the environment from raw goods stage to the end of the product's life when it is being used by our customers. This means putting weight on using the best sustainable, renewable or recyclable material we can get our hands on to ensure we are making smart and informed decisions concerning our impact.
4. We pledge to take the time to source manufacturing responsibly. From where we choose to produce products to how they are made. Putting weight on working locally when possible, working with businesses that offset their operations with renewable energy and always working with businesses that treat their employees fairly.
5. We are dedicated to stop using PLA sleeves to package our greeting cards. We no longer use them for customer orders and are working closely with our retailers to move away from them in a retail setting as well. We are striving to have all of our packaging easily recyclable, reusable and/or biodegradable - a task that is easier said than done! If you have questions or are curious where we are with this particular pledge, please reach out!
At the end of the day, I don’t want to lose sleep at night worrying that the choices I make for Compass Paper Co goes against what I stand for as a human. When you buy a product from Compass Paper Co, I pledge to make sure you are buying a well made, thoughtful and responsible product that gives back and gives love.
Cheers and Chacos,
Owner of Compass Paper Co